Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recycled bracelet


Two views of the same cuff show you a bit of the color change that takes place in the dichroic glass cabochons that I've chosen to resurrect this cuff from the recycle jar.
Originally the cuff was used for a friend's bracelet design, but it wasn't what she had pictured so I removed the stones, they had been held in place by the wire that undulates across the bracelet. I kept wondering what I was going to do the perfectly fine cuff blank. My only concern was the extra solder that was visible here and there along the bracelet, I needed to get that to blend in.
When in doubt about what to do next, I often wait for the materials to tell me what to do. So I got out my stash of dichroic glass cabs and just started looking for inspiration, eventually I found it in these cabs. What I liked most was that the large cab made by one artist was very much complimented by the 2 smaller cabs made by a different artist. I don't find that happens very often, I can't remember a time that I mixed different artist's glass in one piece.
It's hard to tell from these photos but all the cabs share blue, green, yellow and orange depending on how the cabs are turned in the light.
To cover the extra solder left over from the first time around I decided to use pure silver wire to wrap the cuff and then when heated the solder ran and attached to the wire, so everything blended in beautifully. I purposely made the cuff too large for me, as I absolutely love it and would keep it if it fit.

No comments: